Wednesday, August 23, 2006

SHI's SHI's GOODBYE PARTY

Shiona is going back to America on Friday, so yesterday we had a goodbye party for her. It was like her tenth goodbye party but this was the best one. Shiona has been in Japan exactly two years teaching at a middle/high school, and she will be going back to Washington state where her sugar boogar and family are. I have to say I am so sad Shiona is leaving. This is one of the hardest goodbyes because even though I will be going back to America in the next few months, we might as well as be in different countries as far away Washington is from Tennessee. Shiona and I have done many things together, have gone on so many adventures together, share all the same values and beliefs, have spent numerous nights giggling and talking, have gone through "I LOVE JAPAN" days together, have gone through "I HATE JAPAN" days together, and we have the same idiotic and stupid sense of humor. I have affectionately renamed her Shi Shi, and now it's stuck. But I think the two things that have most made Shiona and I's friendship deep and strong is that we have seen Japanese come Christ together and we have been to the Japanese public bath together. Yep, that's the recipe for a strong and wonderful friendship...leading people to Christ together and bathing together.

Front Row from the left...Megumi, Takako, Shiona, Liz, and Chi. Back Row from the left...me, Maya, Koni, Kaori. I made Shiona a scrapbook with all the adventures we have had the best year and half. I liked it so much, I almost didn't give it to her. Shi with her gift from the Seelens...a calligraphy Bible Verse.

At the party, we ate and ate, played games, and watched home videos Shiona has recorded in Japan. Shiona is quite the movie director and producer. She has taken all these videos and has edited them with music, subtitles, credits, and other things, and she has created movies. She has made "Guam: The Movie" starring Kaori, Koni, me, and Shiona. I have it on DVD and am currently making copies to send to my parents and sisters. Shiona also made a "Happy Birthday, Katie" DVD. And a "Mt. Fuji: The Giver of Pain" movie is in the works, and as well as a prayer DVD about Shinsaibashi. It's like a Shiona Production Company.

And only in Japan does a goodbye party consist of a trip to Karaoke. This particular trip included "Country Roads" by John Denver, "Survivor" by Destiny Child, "Jolene" by Dolly Parton (I changed the title to Shiona..."Shiona, Shiona, Shiona, Shiona, please don't take my man just because you can"), and "Part of Your World" from Little Mermaid...Karaoke is always the most random songs ever.

And the finale of the evening...me dying Shiona's hair 22N (or dark ash blonde). She wants to look good for her trip home.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

that was great party Katie! Thanks for preparing it!! I still can't believe Shi's leaving.. maybee I'll never be able believe it :(

I love you all!

Anonymous said...

Hey, it's only 2500 miles or so from Washington to Tennessee (I say only 2500 as if that's a small number and it's no big deal even though it takes about a 3 to 4 day drive to make which I've done twice but I digress).

Anonymous said...

testing