Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Yes, I'm a Foreigner

When you live in a place with only dark-eyed, dark haired, petite people, blond hair, blue eyes, and an American build are bound to get stares. I can understand little kids staring...kids in America stare and they see different people all the time. And I can understand the glances when I get on the train. I glance at foreigners when I see them get on the train, too. And I can understand getting stares when I show up in places where foreigners don't usually appear. Like at the hair salon. They don't see blond hair too often, much less cut it, so I can understand the commotion I cause. But every once in a while, I will get gawks. Straight-up, no holding back, mouth-open, "Yes, I'm staring and I don't care" gawks. I get them alot if I do something stupid like trip going up stairs or getting my heel caught in a manhole. But I also get them even if I am doing everything exactly like the Japanese. I can be picking out a tomato at the grocery store and a lady will be gawking. I can be riding the train by myself off in my own little world and then realize that the man across the way is gawking at me. At first, I thought I was doing something wrong when I got gawks, but now I'm not really sure why I make people gawk. One theory Liz and I have is that they are trying to figure out if I'm a foreigner or not. So, Chi-chan made me a t-shirt that says in Japanese "Yes, I'm a foreigner" on the front and back. We're hoping this will eliminate some of the gawks by just getting it out in the open that yes, I am, in fact, a foreigner.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just think soon you will be in the land of big people :) My theme song for Japan in regards to that stuff is the second verse of Matchbos 20's Unwell. You should look it up.

Hope all your packing and stuff is going well!
Elizabeth

Shio-chan said...

No way! I am SO jealous. Chi chan is so cool!

Anonymous said...

Shishi, do you need "Yes I'm getting married" tee? hee hee!

Anonymous said...

Wondering about that last comment?

Katie, I'm glad God brought you into our lives. It has been great to read of your adventures for Christ.

Blessings on what HE has for the future. Would love to hear from time to time.

Shalom,
Adam

Katie! said...

Hehe...Chi's comment refers to our friend, Shiona, aka ShiShi, getting married in March...I am not getting married (at least not any time soon)!

Amanda said...

おもしろい!!! That's SO awesome. I want one too!! So, you'll be in TN for Christmas, huh? I'm so glad I got to serve Christ with you in Japan. You really (indirectly) taught me a lot then.
I'll move to Japan after I graduate in May '07. Not sure yet where I'll be...I'm hoping the JET Program will hire me. Please pray that God provides me with a great English-teaching job that puts me with people who are/will become open to the gospel.

Shio-chan said...

Okay Katie, I saw Liz's blog with the picture of you at the chocolate fountain and just wanted to let you know, we're having one at the wedding. No joke!