Thursday, April 20, 2006

Second Easter in Japan!

Whew, I had a busy and crazy Easter weekend, but it was totally great! Saturday and Sunday, I went with some fellow missionaries to the island of Shikoku and we worshipped together Easter morning on top of a mountain. And then Sunday night, Liz, Shi, and I got together with some university girls Easter night and watched "Passion of the Christ" and got to go deep with those girls about Christ and what exactly His death on the cross means for us. Here's some pics of the weekend! So, Japan has four major islands. I live on the biggest. But we went to the next big one south of us, but to get to it, you have to go through a little one. In between the little island and the island I visited, there are these whirlpools that are caused by the water passing in between the two islands. These pictures don't at all do justice showing whirlpools. Notice the boat of tourists going through the whirlpools. Sorry for the bar in the way of the whirlpools, but it was the best picture I had of the whirlpools. Me and Liz on a beach in Tokushima on Shikoku island. It's Easter weekend, middle of April, and I'm still wearing my winter coat...crazy Japanese weather. This is a Japanese cemetery. And inside this building is where many Japanese Christians are buried. The city of Tokushima! Liz, me, and Barb on top of the mountain overlooking Tokushima! This is the world's largest suspension bridge and the most expensive bridge ever built. It connects my big island to a little island. My supervisors, Mr. Ron and Mrs. Cindy!! They look really cool with their sunglasses, don't they?!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

the glasses rock!

Anonymous said...

Katie - Lovely photos! I especially liked the ones of the cherry blossoms. I hope you had a wonderful Easter celebration. Tell all the girls I said "hi" and I'm praying for them.

So, why did you have to go to the doctor a few weeks ago? Are you better?

We're in revival services this week at FBC Martin. Servant Singers sang "Arise" last night, then they had their end of the year pizza blowout at Snappy Tomato's. Servant Singers leave for Iowa on May 14 for a week of mission work with Jon & Mindy (by the way, they're expecting - the baby is due soon). Seems early for school at UTM to be wrapping up, but Rachel & Matt tell me there are only 6 more days until finals. And the Japanese universities are just beginning a new year! The must have a long winter holiday.

Thinking of you always,
Shanna Cook
Num. 6:24-26

Anonymous said...

Wow! How many miles across is the bridge??? It looks like you had a great Easter! The whirlpools look scary, just looking at the pictures. I cannot even imagine how they look and sound in person.
The Japanese Cemetary looks very neat and clean - well taken care of.Why are Christian buried seperately?? Do they desire to be?
We had a great time for the WMU week of prayer, your grandmother did a great job telling us of your work! I wish she could attend our church - pray for us, unless God does something major we will close in the next 2-3 years!

Rev. Ashley Beagle
Decouirsey Baptist Church