Sunday, June 18, 2006

Wanna loose a quick 5 pounds?...Go to Indonesia for a week

I have tons to say about Indonesia, my meeting there, and the experiences I had. Let's just do it list style...

  • I went to Indonesia for a meeting for people who have served one year on the field in my region (that would be the Pacific Rim region). It is a retreat, debriefing, refocusing, half-time type meeting. Totally awesome.
  • We stayed at a Hilton Hotel and we weren't able to leave the hotel most days because of security and because the hotel is not conveniently located to anything. However, the Hilton in Indonesia is a little different from America. While it was absolutely beautiful and clean and very tropical, we couldn't drink from the tap, there were ants that permanently lived on the bathroom sink, the shower water temperature was never consistent, and in the lobby bathrooms, there were hoses next to the toilets that you had to spray into the toilet to flush everything down.
  • Indonesia is a Muslim country, so we heard the call to prayer often. The first time I heard it, I was sitting by the pool and I thought at first it was Indonesian music playing. Then it got louder and louder, and then you could hear the PA systems turn on with men leading in prayer. My first time in a Muslim country, my first time to ever hear Muslims praying...it was haunting and heart-wrenching to hear hundreds of voices in unison crying out to untruth.
  • Totally got some kind of something-something with my stomach while there. The kind of little something-something that forced me and the toilet be good friends.
  • I counted...I have over 40 mosquito bites on my legs alone. Today I went to the pharmacy here in Japan and just lifted up pants leg to the cashier and they immediately directed me to the anti-itch cream.
  • I saw a woman going to the bathroom in the river.
  • Security guards checked my purse before going into the shopping mall, and when I entered the grocery store, I had to put my purse in a cubby.
  • I ate at a restaurant and the toilet didn't flush...you dumped a bucket a water into the toilet yourself to flush it.
  • When I was checking my bags to leave Indonesia, instead of having a computerized label on my suitcase, the lady hand wrote the destination on the label. Thankfully, my luggage arrived safely.
  • Here's some pictures.... I had to fly through Taiwan on the way to Indonesia. Here's a view from the plane. This is Indonesia. My first time to see someone side-saddle a motorbike. This sticker is in our hotel room. It tells Muslims which way to face when they pray. That's right, folks...INDONESIAN IDOL!! I caught an episode one night on tv. It is just like American Idol, complete with the judges, posters from fans, numbers to call and text, and even some English songs. First time to see four people on a motorbike. Street corner. Me and my buddy, D, eating some Indonesian food (I know my food looks very western but it was Indonesian).

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hope you recovered from the something-something! We love you! Kaleigh and Leighann

Anonymous said...

Hey itchy Keiko! I'm glad you got back safely--except your stomach.. Are you ok now?
I'm looking forward to hear your story about "SoMetHinG." hehe.

Shio-chan said...

Great update! it looks a lot like where I was in China last summer. Including the "somethin'-something"

JasonC said...

Katie, were you blindfolded last summer in Thailand? You can see girls riding side-saddle daily here and it is also possible to see the "family of four cycle" once a day here. Please pay attention this year.
jason