Monday, July 24, 2006

Lost in Translation

  • "Katie, you are naturally stupid." -Ai
  • "What?! Do you know what you just said to me?!" -Katie
  • "Yes. You're a forehead." -Ai
  • "What?! A forehead? What are you trying to say?!" -Katie
  • "Oh, not a forehead. An airhead. You are an airhead." -Ai
  • "What?! That's a mean thing to call someone, Ai!" -Katie
  • "Oh, no, that's a compliment. People in Japan love airheads, so it's good you are an airhead." -Ai

Yep, this actually happened. Ai is super cute and now I know it's a compliment to be an airhead in Japan.

3 comments:

JasonC said...

Thus, Katie stayed in Japan the rest of her life.




(All joking aside, Katie is a wonderful person and I enjoy reading about how God is using her to build eternal relationships with the young women of Japan.)

Triplelove said...

Ahhhhh,
Yes, this actually happened. f^_^;)
In Japanese, Katie is "TEN NEN BOKE".
TEN NEN= natural
BOKE=stupid,
but "Tennen Boke" means airhead in English.
(Some people who know Japanese well told me so.)

Katie, remember that Tennen person is usually liked by guys and even girls,
we think "Tennen" person is really CUTE!!!

One more thing I can tell you is...
We just say you are "TEN NEN", and this "TEN NEN" means you are "TEN NEN BOKE".

Anonymous said...

Katie,

This is just another testimony of how God continues to use what seems foolish to confound the wise.
We as a family are very thankful for you, Shiona, Liz and other short term missionaries that take upon
themselves to be "fools" for Christ in order that He may be glorified.

I'm not sure that I would be transparent enough to post on my blog that some one called me, "Tennen Boke" (naturally stupid). But I must profess that it has encouraged me to know that even in my weaknesses He can be glorified (where I am weak, He is strong. Yes, truly He loves us).

Blessings ><>
Charlie for all