Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Katie NOT in Japan

Now that the holidays are over, the reality is setting in that I've actually left Japan. I feel like I've gotten so weird the past two years and feel the need to explain to everyone that I've been out of the country for the past two years. I couldn't figure out how to give the cashier at Walgreens $7.58, and I desperately wanted to go into detail about why I was a little slow at US currency. At church Sunday, I bowed at people...totally felt like a dork. I've been flashing the mandatory "peace sign" in every picture taken. And I've been busting out with the most random Japanese words...gaijin, sumimasen, chotto, mecha, etto. But today I discovered that the Kroger down the street sells Koala no machi, a delicious Japanese snack. I was ecstatic. Still haven't found edamame, but I hear I can find it in Franklin.
This picture was taken at the airport the day I left Japan. I'm definitely suffering from Japan Withdrawal.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

thanks for missing Japan, sister.and glad that you are doing well there.Your feeling is totally understandable....just wanted to say "luv you heaps!"
tamaki

Shio-chan said...

Katie! I totally understand what you are going through~AND I can't believe you found Koala no machi.; Totally jealous. But it is a good idea for a wedding gift don't you think :)
Oh, and I have been telling everyone about last New Year's Eve. I still missed you though. Happy New Year! Love you!
Oh, by the way, what's your mailing address?

Anonymous said...

Happy New Year Keiko! I just sent you an email last night :) Love ya!

Kathryn said...

Katie,

I can't believe I am finally making it back to Japan (for AGM) and you won't be there. I'm glad you were able to be in the States for the holidays with your family.

Much Love,
Kathryn

Anonymous said...

me and you both. i can't even order food without feeling like a dork, i say stuff like hamburger set. btw are you going to the february debriefing?

Anonymous said...

Hey Katie,
We would love to have you come up one Noonday and share with our students. Let me know if that can happen this spring.

Morgan

Anonymous said...

Hey Katie. How are you doing? Did you have a good flight to home?
I just got back from Japan to Texas this morning. I have a jetlag.
I got to see Yu and she really wants to keep in touch with you.
But she doesn't know your e-mail address.

This is my e-mail.
nori_1223@hotmail.com
214-280-2444 my cell

Anonymous said...

Katie,
Japan will not be the same when we get back next month. Because you will not be there. Know that the Seelen family will miss you terribly. I am doing much better with medication. I didn't need surgery after all. Praise God! Please know we are praying for you. Keep in touch. Love, The Seelens