Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Wendy and Valerie are coming!!!

Almost every high school group of friends has them...the friend who is the Drama Queen, the friend who is a little bit goody-goody, the friend who is the mother, the friend who is the over-achiever, the friend who is hot but doesn't know it, the friend who is the nut, and the friend who is the instigator. I was the instigator in high school...not the ring leader or trouble maker, just merely the one who thought "Wouldn't it be funny..." and then got someone else to do it. Growing up with three sisters, I honed in on my manipulation skills at an early age, and growing up with my three sisters, I might have occasionally been the friend who is the Drama Queen. In high school, God gave me wonderful friends who loved the Lord and who all decided during their teenage years that they were going to really live for Christ. One friend in particular is Wendy. Wendy was there beside me when I prayed for Christ to come into my life. Wendy was always an encourager and giving her friends verses she had read and writing notes. Our Senior year of high school, Wendy and I along with her now-husband planned and led a True Love Waits-type of weekend for the middle schoolers at church. In short, Wendy and I were really good friends in high school. The way Wendy and I live our lives now is a reflection of what we were like in high school. I was more care-free, spontaneous, and always changing my mind about colleges, boys, etc. Wendy was more mature than the rest of us, a planner, and knew what she wanted. I went off to college, graduated...still changing my mind about careers, law school, boys, etc., and moved to Japan for two years to do missions. Wendy went off to another college, married her high school sweet heart, gave birth to a beautiful son, and is now a full-time mommy and wife. Our lives are totally different now. Tomorrow Wendy and her mom, Valerie, are coming to Osaka to visit, and I can't tell you how excited I am about spending time with Wendy again! We haven't spent this many days together since high school. To show her my life here, for her to see the Japanese people and to get to know them, for her to experience Japan...it's going to be so great! THEY'LL BE HERE TOMORROW!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's awesome that your friend is coming to visit. I would love to bring all of my very close friends to Japan to show them around and show them the people I love and the country that influenced who I am today. Anyways, that's really cool. I hope you're doing well. ;o)-Laura Hicks

Anonymous said...

katie you could fill all those roles at any particular time. i know you did in cooper. miss you much.